Tuesday, June 14, 2011

one long laugh


Today is my grandparents' 59th wedding anniversary.  

When I called them on my way home from work, they wanted to tell me all about their lunch.  Apparently my grandpa decided to mark the day by taking my grandma to a seafood restaurant she loves, "which is all of fifteen minutes away," she supplied.  "It only took us two and a half hours," he chimed in.  Their commingled laugher echoed down the line.  It seems they took a wrong turn ("Your grandfather turned right, even though I told him to turn left, and of course left was the right way.") and while they have a GPS, they're not really all that good at using it. ("That damn thing kept telling us to go in a circle!")  But they made it, eventually, and the lobster was delicious.  

Then my grandma said, reflectively, "I remember when your grandpa asked me to marry him.  I told him, 'I think if I marry you, it's just going to be one long laugh.'  And you know... it has been."

They were still giggling when I hung up with them.

We should all be so lucky, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I love your grandparents!!! That is so sweet, and you're right. So lucky. That's what I hope I have to look forward to in a marriage. Someone to grow old with who laughs with me all the time. It's funny. I actually just recently blogged that after watching the movie, "Up." Couples who grow old together are perhaps the sweetest, most hope-filled thing in the world.
    Congratulations to your grandparents on 59 years! What an incredibly rare and sweet accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete